Welcome to Our Services Overview
School Based Social Worker
West Seattle Elementary has a full-time school-based social worker who supports students and families. He also works to create a positive school environment. His name is Mr. Abdi Ali. Some of the supports Mr. Ali provides are listed below.
Supporting parents to:
- Effectively participate in their children?s education
- Understand their child?s developmental and educational needs
- Access school and community resources
- Strengthen parenting skills
Linking school and community to:
- Develop resources to adequately meet the needs of students and their family
Helping students to:
- Become resilient and successful learners
- Cope in times of crisis
- Gain personal and social competencies
- Access mental health services
Assisting educators to:
- Work effectively with parents
- Understand families’ cultural factors which affect students
West Seattle Elementary provides bilingual support for English Language Learners at all stages of progress.
Our Bilingual team supports students who have been integrated into regular classrooms. The Bilingual team provides includes fluent speakers of Somali, Spanish and Vietnamese and helps assist in school-home communication.The team targets specific skills students need to become proficient in English and provides assistance in all areas of academic need.
Resource/Special Needs Services
Students with special needs are supported by caring and experienced group of support staff.
West Seattle Elementary provides a variety of services, such as Occupational Therapy/Physical Therapy, a special education teacher to support mainstreamed students, a speech therapist, a full-time counselor and a school nurse.